RMA Commercial Lending School

When:  Aug 1, 2020 from 08:00 AM to 05:00 PM (ET)
Associated with  Philadelphia Chapter

Course Overview
Many banks are experiencing a shortage of analysts and new lenders, and yet few are able to commit the resources needed for a traditional credit-training program.

To meet the need for a comprehensive, yet accessible credit-training program, more and more institutions are turning to the RMA Philadelphia Commercial Lending School.

Designed to be the equivalent of a bank’s commercial-training program, the Commercial Lending School offers an organized, sequenced group of six courses:

• Credit Analysis Basics & Financial Statement Spreading
  • Analyzing Personal Financial and Tax Returns
  • Analyzing Business Tax Returns
  • Cash Flow Analysis
  • Structuring Commercial Loans
  • Write-Up Skills for New Lenders
  • Optional one-day course: Commercial Real Estate Lending I: Introduction (additional fees apply) SEE DESCRIPTION BELOW

The result is top-quality credit training offered within a framework that develops and reinforces skills your employees need to function independently as commercial analysts or lenders.

The Commercial Lending School consists of 12 in-class meetings supplemented by substantial independent work and small group assignments. Classroom activities are spaced one or two weeks apart.

Session Dates

• August 1 - Credit Analysis Basics
  • August 8 - Credit Analysis Basics/ Statement Spreading
  • August 15 - Case Study #1
  • August 22 - Analyzing Business Tax Returns
  • August 29 - Analyzing Personal Financial Statements  and Tax Returns
  • September 12 - Case Study #2
  • September 19 - Writing the Credit Analysis (formerly Business Writing  for Bankers)
  • September 25 - Cash Flow Analysis I  – Day 1
  • September 26 - Cash Flow Analysis I  – Day 2
  • October 10 - Case Study #3
  • October 17 - Structuring Commercial Loans I
  • November 7 - Case Study #4
  • November 14 - OPTIONAL COURSE: Commercial Real Estate Lending I  (formerly Real Estate Fundamentals in Commercial Lending)

Who will benefit?
This course is for individuals new to the commercial real estate lending process, including commercial and industrial (C&I) lenders, commercial real estate (CRE) lenders, commercial loan portfolio managers, commercial loan review officers, credit analysts, and bank regulators.

Requirements
Participants must attend all classes and complete all assignments. Participants will need to demonstrate basic competency in accounting, particularly financial statements and the principles that govern their construction. If any registrants do not have that level of familiarity with accounting, we suggest they take RMA’s Financial Accounting self-study course before joining the class. This class does have pre-work and must be completed prior to the first class.

OPTIONAL ADDITION:Commercial Real Estate Lending I: Introduction

Gain an understanding of the fundamentals and the risks inherent in commercial real estate lending

(Formerly Real Estate Fundaments in Commercial Lending)

Course Overview
Commercial Real Estate Lending I: Introduction provides credit analysts and commercial lenders with a basic understanding of commercial real estate lending concepts and techniques for income producing properties. Topics include key loan repayment sources, formulating conclusions with respect to a property’s success, net operating income (NOI) and its components, the role of appraisals and environmental assessments, and characteristics or key elements of various property types.

Who will benefit?
This course is for individuals new to the commercial real estate lending process, including commercial and industrial (C&I) lenders, commercial real estate (CRE) lenders, commercial loan portfolio managers, commercial loan review officers, credit analysts, and bank regulators.

You will:

• Identify general characteristics attributable to basic types of commercial real estate loans.
  • Evaluate various risk components associated with commercial real estate lending.
  • Construct a cash flow analysis framework that leads to an accurate assessment of a commercial real estate project’s loan repayment ability.
  • Identify basic steps required to comply with real estate appraisal and environmental site assessment requirements.
  • Identify types of commercial real estate properties and key underwriting characteristics specific to each.
  • Analyze a specific commercial real estate loan request using a best practices approach.

Prerequisites
It is recommended that you have an understanding of general commercial lending and credit analysis to benefit from this course, but it is not mandatory